Tuesday, 27 March 2012


Hi everyone
I intend to write a blog every week or so; I do hope you are continuing to read them.
You may be aware that I inadvertently set the fire alarm off a few weeks ago when some pasta bubbled over and caught fire on the ceramic cooker hob.  You can imagine how distraught I was when I saw the whole school assembling on the playing field, just as School Assembly ended (good timing I suppose!).
Then there was another fire drill - nothing to do with me this time - caused by an incident in the canteen.
Mr Swain had mentioned in an e mail to staff that 'things have a habit of coming in 3's'. Well, they nearly did if if hadn't been for some quick thinking by yours truly and the valiant efforts of some of 7A....
During the Wednesday cookery Workshop last week, one would-be-chef accidentally put a plastic tray on top of the cooker hob while the ceramic ring was still turned on. He didn't notice anything amiss but another keen eyed Yr 7 saw from the other side of the room that a stream of white smoke was rising from the cooker hob.
I ran over immediately, turned off the heat, but of course, the ring remained hot, so continued to melt and burn the plastic. As the smoke continued to rise and seemingly deliberately make its way toward the heat/smoke sensor in the ceiling, I had visions of another alarm going off and yet another school evacuation. 
Fearing disciplinary action from the Head, and with some degree of terror at the thought of yet another reprimand from the scary Mr Parker, I did some quick damage limitation and found a stainless steel mixing bowl which I inverted over the smouldering plastic on the cooker.
Then, warning the 12 highly excited Yr 7's to be prepared to turn off their woks and evacuate the room, should the alarm sound, I instructed them to get tea towels, damp them down with water and flap them around in the air in the vicinity of the rising smoke to try to stop it reaching the sensors. They thought it extremely exciting as they swung the damp tea towels around, keeping an eye out for an amber flashing light and listening for a beeping alarm.   The odds were in my favour that day because... no alarm went off!!!  All doors and vents were opened and the offensive fumes and smoke drifted out of the kitchen!
Then the pair of lads responsible for the incident had the nerve to suggest that they couldn't do any general washing and cleaning up of their work station because the lingering smell of the burnt plastic on their cooker in their nostrils made it impossible to go anywhere near the sink!!!
(Incidentally, with the help of a little heat, a plastic knife and a multitude of chemical cleaning agents, I later managed to clean the solid white plastic mound off the ceramic hob.  
Ah well, another day in the life of a calm, collected, stress free Food Tech Teacher!!!

It's Open Evening this Thursday and the Food Tech Room will be open to our visitors from 6 -9 pm.
I shall be asking parents and prospective pupils to fill in a little questionnaire that is below...
If the world were to end tomorrow, what would be your chosen 'last supper'?  Starter, main course, dessert, drinks.      
Where would you chose to eat it and why?
Other than family and friends, what 2 other famous guests would you invite? Name 2 celebrities/well known persons (from the present or from the past).
Call into food Tech any time this week or the week after Easter, fill in and submit a questionnaire There's a prize fro the most interesting answers.

The quiz for years 8 and 9 from the previous blog is now open to anybody who wants to try to find the answers over the Easter Break. Staff too are welcome to have a go. Only a couple of  boys have handed in answers so far, and there's an Easter Egg going for the winner!

Signing off now; it's late to be writing so creatively - More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment