Monday 8 February 2016

Hi Everyone
This is the second of the 2016 blogs.  I hope that you enjoyed reading the first one; I was surprised though that nonone entered the simple quiz to win a chocolate bar. Maybe I will have to up the value of the prize in order to get you to have a go this time?
I have been asking the sixth form cookery students about their 'last supper'. I spoke about this last time on the blog: what 3 course meal you would enjoy if it was your last night on earth?  Where would you have the meal, and what 2 celebrities would you invite alongside your family and friends?
First off - Sandhev Bath .... his call to fame in Food Tech lessons is that he preferred to eat raw cake mix , rather than waiting until it was cooked into a full size chocolate cake. Also, he wanted to cook Pigeon Pie one week, stating that he had watched a video on the Internet and now was proficient in preparing such a delicacy from scratch!  I'm not sure if I can order live pigeons from Tesco Online but if only I could....
Well, Sandhev's Last Supper is Grandma's Dhal with Parothas, followed by Chicken Nuggets, Smiley Faces, sweetcorn and peas, and for dessert - Cookie Ice cream.  All to be eaten - and I quote him- 'atop the Grand Canyon'.  His guests would be Enrico Inglesia and Frankie Boyle????!!!!
Next up is Dan Russon ....Classic Tomato Soup, Mee Goreng (chicken), and Eton Mess.  Must have a chocolate milkshake too. He would partake of this fine repast on a beach in Borneo, and would invite the founders of 2 of the world's major religions, in order to hear them discuss their own.
I had another brilliant 'quote' from a year 7 in his end of session test this week.
I always instruct the boys on the art of successful washing up (without a Mom or dishwasher to help)  - they need to rely on 3 kinds of energy: heat (hot water), chemical (detergent), and physical - themselves (plus a sponge or scourer.)
This particular boy listed the 3 in his test....Hot water, washing up liquid, and ....wait for it....HUMAN POWER!!   I found this highly amusing. I have visions of THE HULK arriving every Wednesday to help our possibly weak year 7 to cope with the supreme effort that must feel is required to clean his wok!!!
My Wall of Fame/Shame is to be updated this week. Photos are now going up: 2 boys from year 8 who managed to accidentally cook a knife inside their chocolate brownie tray bake, and 2 boys who incorrectly added a full pint of cooking oil (20 fluid ounces) intstead of 7 fluid ounces to their chocolate brownie mixture.
I couldn't understand why the brownies refused to set in the oven, they bubbled away relentlessly like Mount Vesuvious for over an hour without solidification. I only worked out the error when I finally quizzed them about what they had put in the mixing bowl!!  My much used response of 'bin it' was the final answer to yet another culinary disaster, with the pair having to return the following day to 'get it right this time' and have an acceptable product to take home to family!
The third photo is of Robert Elkinton (6.2) would be Jamie Oliver who flipped a pancake too enthusiastically - it ended up on the floor rather than back in the pan.  I assured him that the floor was cleaned thoroughly every night by an excellent school cleaner, and I think he might have eaten it?!
This week I am going to include something of what Daniel Brittle wrote about Christmas at the TOAST Literacy Club wich he attends.
Daniel first woke up at 2.30 am and found things in his Christmas stocking, so promptly ate some of the packet of skittles that were inside. He finally went back to sleep and woke again at 8.30 when he and his sisters opened everything in their stockings. Then they woke up their parents and went downstairs.
He writes..'Finally! we get to open all our other presents. Dad insisted though that he had a cup of tea first, so we had to wait more minutes..
The first present I opened was a book about Minecraft. then there was more interesting stuff like more  books and science sets and then I opened the best present of them all - a quad copter.Then I continued opening selection box after selection box until I found the worst present of them all - a spy microphone.
It would have been fine - something I could hide and listen to the family through, secretly. Unfortunately, it was much too big to hide anywhere without it being seen!!
And the best meal I had all holiday was Toad in the Hole on New Year's Day!

Today, 8th February sees the start of the Chinese New Year. The celebrations started on Sunday evening (New Year's Eve) and, I believe, last for 15 days.  A chocolate bar to the first 5 boys who come to find me
and wish me Happy New Year in Mandarin Chinese, and tell me which animal it is being celebrated this Year.  The characteristics of those born under this zodiac sign are:
  • Strengths: sociable, innovative, enthusiastic, self-assured  
  • Weaknesses: suspicious, cunning, selfish, arrogant, jealous
I was born in the year of the dog and my traits are:    Dog: Loyal, sociable, courageous, diligent, steady, lively, adaptable, very smart/intelligent.   Also sarcastic and nosy!  Sounds about right!
And finally, don't forget that February 9th is 
Pancake Day, also called Shrove Tuesday, Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras (which is French for "Fat Tuesday"), is the last day of feasting before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. It's called so due to the tradition of eating pancakes on the day. This tradition comes from a time where any rich foods were eaten on the day before Lent, and fasting begins. The date can vary from as early as February 3rd to as late as March 9th.
Families used up ingredients like eggs, milk and flour to make pancakes which probably wouldn't be used during Lent.  The recipe for the batter is the same as that for Yorkshire Puddings; the batter is supposed to perform best if made with some ice cold water, and apparantly, in times past, they were made with snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment